Have you ever heard of Bao Bing? It’s a Chinese dessert made from shaved ice and topped with your favorite combination of fruit, jellies and sauces. The closest American dish would be the ice cream Sunday. I’ve created this recipe to be totally AIP friendly and as always, delicious. The recipe is apart of my new cookbook but I've got a preview (and more info about the book) below!
Trying different global cuisines was a big passion of mine before I got sick. I always enjoyed the adventure of trying a new food. It’s so much fun going to a new Asian market or restaurant and just trying the desserts like Bao Bing or drinks like Grass Jelly. After going AIP, I really struggled trying to enjoy my food in the same way. I had to reinvent those foods for my family and myself.
I was thrilled to be able to contribute to the NEW community cookbook The Global Paleo AIP Kitchen. I’m so happy to share many of the recipes that I make for my family (like this Bao Bing recipe), a few new ones that are exclusive to the book! You can all have those recipes plus 122 recipes from 18 other bloggers. There are Chinese, Thai, French, Belgian, Italian, Vietnamese, Eastern European, Mexican (and Latin American), Indian, Japanese, Greek, Moroccan, Middle Eastern, Irish, UK and some American classics. These recipes really span the globe and are an adventure into another culture
Some of these recipes are packed with exotic flavors. For example, Grass Jelly. Drinking grass couldn’t possibly taste good, right? Wrong! It may be unusual to American palates but this is a traditional drink in Asia. I did make a few substitutions to make it AIP but it’s very reminiscent of the traditional flavor. It’s a bold drink to share with your friends and family. Just because AIP is considered an elimination diet, doesn’t mean it’s boring or bland.
So here’s the deal:
- Everything is AIP elimination phase ready
- 122 exciting recipes (you could cook a new meal every day for close to 6 months without any repeats)
- Gluten, grain, dairy, egg, soy, nut, seed, refined sugar free
- Real, unprocessed, no BS food
The Global Paleo AIP Kitchen is the book for you if you want to:
- Spend less time looking for recipes
- Enjoy eating AIP but want to try new recipes
- Miss your favorite takeout like Chinese or Mexican food (there’s an AIP Queso Dip and Chinese style Beef with Broccoli recipes that I’m dying to try!)
Bao Bing (Chinese Shaved Ice)
For the Dessert
- 2 cups Ice shaved (crushed ice is a good substitute)
- 1 can Coconut Milk 13.5 ounce can
- 1 cup Toppings
- Strawberries chopped
- Lychee chopped
- Mango chopped
- Peaches chopped
- Nectarines chopped
- AIP Ice Cream
- Coconut Chips or flakes
- Bananas sliced
- Divide the ice amongst four dessert bowls.
- Add your chosen toppings to the ice.
- Next drizzle equal amounts of the coconut milk over each of the bowls.
- Serve immediately.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!