I’ve made other versions of this dessert (AIP Coconut Pumpkin Panna Cotta, Strawberry Rhubarb Panna Cotta and Chocolate Panna Cotta) but this Coconut Panna Cotta is the OG (original gangster). It’s the panna cotta that started it all. It’s a dairy free version of the Italian dessert, panna cotta.
The pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb recipes have already been converted to make them aip and paleo friendly. However, I’m still working on changing up the chocolate version.
I wrote about my husband’s love of panna cotta in my AIP Coconut Pumpkin Panna Cotta recipe post but he actually likes this simple version better. He loves coconut and this recipe is all about the coconut. I added a puree of persimmon since it was still in season. It’s easy to replace with another puree of seasonal fruit or just fresh fruit. However, my husband loves it plain as well.
Coconut Panna Cotta
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl, add 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, and whisk until smooth. Set aside to bloom for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining the ingredients.
- Heat the coconut milk, cream, honey and salt in a saucepan until hot not boiling.
- Slowly sprinkle the gelatin over the hot mixture while stirring. If you don’t you’ll end up with gelatin lumps.
- Pour the coconut mixture into 6-8 ramekins, stemless wine glasses or dessert cups. Set aside in refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- If using, add the topping to each serving. For the photos, I used a persimmon puree with a sprinkling of shredded coconut in the center.