Please note that this recipe is not AIP/Paleo. However, I'm looking forward to changing the recipe and making compliant soon.
When we in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, were walking around trying to find something to eat. We had just arrived in Vegas and had been on the road for hours so I was starving! We randomly walked into this restaurant but I must have been delirious with hunger as I can’t remember the name or where it was located. I ordered a salad that had a red pepper dressing. The salad was ok but I thought that the dressing was such a clever idea. Salads can get boring but this dressing was surprisingly good and I knew that I needed to try making it at home. I ended up making it two weeks in a row because the dressing was so good!
I have used roasted red peppers and the sweet and spicy red peppers (shown in the photos) from Trader Joe’s. They are both good but the sweet and spicy red peppers are almost too spicy for me. I prefer the plain roasted red peppers.
Grilled Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
- Chicken Marinade:
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 3 pounds Chicken Breast tenders
- Salad Dressing:
- 1 12 ounce jar Roasted Red Peppers (can either be sweet or spicy), drained
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces Mixed Lettuce I used 2 bags of the baby spring mix from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 12 ounce jar Kalamata Olives, pitted
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 4 ounces Crumbled Goat Cheese
- 4 Middle Eastern Flatbread or Pita Bread cut into four pieces
- To make the chicken, you need to marinade it with the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, Dried Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Ground Pepper and of course the Chicken Breast tenders in a gallon size resealable bag.
- Set the chicken aside to marinade while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- To make the salad dressing, add the roasted red peppers, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, dried oregano and smoked paprika to a blender or tall container to blender with an immersion blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then stir to combine.
- To prepare the salad, distribute the lettuce to four large salad bowls.
- Top the lettuce with equal amounts of onion, olives and goat cheese.
- To cook the chicken, either grill or pan fry the chicken tenders for for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Next, place equal amounts of chicken on top of each salad bowl.
- Pour about 3-4 tablespoons of the dressing on each bowl of lettuce and then serve with the flatbread.