This Tilapia Piccata dish is a twist on the classic Italian Veal Piccata recipe so it’s not exactly an original recipe. It just tastes good and I thought you should be aware of such a delicious and easy recipe. I have added options for those following a dairy free, gluten free or autoimmune protocol diet.
For some reason, I never used to cook fish. Looking back, it seems foolish. Fish is healthy and shockingly quick and easy to prepare. This classic and super flavorful recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes. Add a veggie and rice then you’ve got a meal, fast!
I usually cook with extra virgin olive oil but this recipe needs oil with a high smoking point. Clarified butter would be ideal as it won’t dry out in the pan but will also impart an amazingly rich butter flavor. I ended up using lard. There are other oils that are healthier than lard but due to my food restrictions, this was the best option. Also, I’ve been using a grass-fed tallow that is quite flavorful compared to the heavily processed (and flavorless) lard I found sold by the pound in the regular grocery stores. I found the grass-fed tallow at Whole Foods and Sprouts but you can also get it online. It’s a good option if you can’t have dairy, like myself, but still want big flavor. If you're going for healthy, stick with coconut or avocado oil.
- 2 6- ounce Tilapia Fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper optional for AIP
- 1/4 cup Flour Cassava Flour for AIP
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Lard or other oil with high smoking point
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoons Capers
- Parsley chopped (optional garnish)
- Pat the tilapia dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on the
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper to combine.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge the tilapia in the flour and add to the skillet.
- Cook the tilapia for 2 minutes or until golden brown, then flip with a spatula and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the tilapia to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the chicken stock, lemon juice and capers. Continue to boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the sauce over the fish and serve immediately sprinkled with parsley, if desired.