The autoimmune protocol diet (or paleo diet) can feel quite restrictive so I’m looking for different recipes that are still easy but taste great and will appeal to my whole family. This Turkey and Mushroom Lettuce Wrap recipe is a one-pot meal that is really healthy. I really don’t feel like I’m missing out when I’m eating this dish. It’s satisfying for not just myself but the rest of my non-AIP family.
I used marsala wine and ground black pepper in the recipe which are not strict AIP. If wine doesn’t agree with you then just omit it and double the fish sauce. It won’t have exactly the same flavor but it will still taste great.
I intended on only taking a week or two off while I was on vacation this month. However, it turned into an entire month off. After we returned from vacation, my son and I ended up with a flu bug and then my camera broke. Actually it didn’t break on it’s own, my son helped. Tyler is super curious and tall. I didn’t realize that he was suddenly tall enough to reach the kitchen counter. He grabbed the camera strap, pulled and the entire camera came crashing down on the floor. Luckily it missed Tyler but the camera was a goner. I’m finally back on track with my new camera.
Turkey and Mushroom Lettuce Wrap
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds Ground Turkey
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 4 Green Onions thinly sliced
- 1 pound Button Mushrooms chopped
- 1 8 oz can Sliced Water Chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Marsala Wine optional for AIP
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce 2 tablespoons if omitting wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper optional for AIP
- 1 bunch Cilantro leaves chopped
- 12 Butter Lettuce leaves 1 to 2 heads of lettuce
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Add the turkey and cook until just browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Remove the turkey from the pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil and then add the onions and garlic to the pan.
- Cook until translucent, about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Next add the mushrooms, wine, rice vinegar and fish sauce.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Last, add the water chestnuts and the ground meat back into the pan, and then let cook for a few minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- Stir in cilantro then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the beef mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.
So easy to make and very tasty as well.