AIP Coconut Matcha Panna Cotta
This AIP Coconut Matcha Panna Cotta is based on a traditional creamy panna cotta but uses coconut milk and cream to replace the dairy. The addition of matcha gives this dessert a delicious Asian twist.
Servings: 8 people
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Blackberries
- Mint leaves
Heat the coconut milk, cream, and honey in a saucepan until hot but not boiling.
Slowly sprinkle the gelatin over the hot mixture while stirring to avoid lumps. It helps to use a whisk.
Once the mixture is totally combined, remove from the heat. Slowly sprinkle the salt and matcha powder over the hot mixture while stirring to avoid lumps. It helps to use a whisk.
Carefully pour the coconut mixture into a small casserole dish (8-10 ramekins or 4-6 stemless wine glasses).
Cover then set aside in refrigerator for about 4 hours or until firm and chilled. Garnish and then serve.
- Make sure that you use AIP friendly coconut milk and cream.
- Make sure to use full fat, unsweetened, canned coconut milk and cream that is at least 60% coconut. You don’t want any added sweetener as you’re adding plenty of honey. Canned coconut milk and cream that is also mostly coconut is very important. If you use a watered-down coconut milk or cream the coconut panna cotta will separate. For the best results I recommend canned Aroy-D Coconut Milk and Savoy Coconut Cream.
- If you're not confident in your ability to dissolve the powdered gelatin, you can add it to a small bowl with about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk and let it bloom before you begin the recipe.
- To make vegan matcha panna cotta with agar agar, replace the gelatin with 1 tablespoon of agar agar powder or flakes. And replace the honey with maple syrup. To dissolve agar, it needs to be boiled, so add it directly into the saucepan with the coconut milk, coconut cream, maple syrup (step 4) and bring the coconut milk mixture to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes before removing from the heat.
- To garnish, place berries, mint leaves, and edible flowers around the edges of the dish. And if you can tolerate seeds, black sesame would be pretty garnish as well. Just keep in mind sesame and seeds in general are not allowed during the AIP elimination phase.
- For best results, use Pique Tea Matcha. You can get 5% off using the code BETH5.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 188IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 3mg