Raw radishes have a sharp, almost spicy flavor. Until recently, I hadn’t considered doing anything with radishes beyond eating them raw or pickling them. This Oven Roasted Radishes recipe completely transforms from spicy to sweet. It’s a completely different flavor and absolutely delicious.
My father loves to nibble on raw radishes when I was growing up so they were always around. My dad used to sneak them into salads but I never really enjoyed the strong and spicy flavor. When I started the AIP diet, I realized that if I’m going to exclude so many foods from my diet, I needed to add in some new veggies. Radishes were one of those veggies I wanted to incorporate into my diet. I really wanted to love them but eating them raw just wasn’t an option so I tried braising them. I loved them braised but it required more attention than I was willing to give. It’s hard to watch the stove while watching your toddler. Then I tried roasting them and it was just so much easier. It’s one of those no fuss recipes that are totally satisfying.
I used lard in this recipe but you could definitely use an oil of your choice. I used it because lard adds another flavor to the dish. It’s almost buttery. I liked the subtle flavor but it would still taste good if you use a more neutral oil like avocado or olive oil.
Oven Roasted Radishes
- 4 bunches of Radishes about 4 cups, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Lard coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil would be a good substitute
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the radishes, lard, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and salt into a 9x13 baking dish and toss.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and let roast for 10 minutes and then toss.
- Place back in the oven and let cook for another 10 minutes or until the radishes are fork tender.